Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Schoggi Guetzli (Chocolate Chip Cookies)

I never thought this recipe would have such a story behind it, but trust me, it does. I have been making cookies for years, chocolate chip is one of my favorites, and never have I had to think about each ingredient. In America, these are common staples. So, at most, I'd have to pick up a bag of chocolate chips in order to whip up a batch of these delicious treats. (Though most of the time I had one stashed in the freezer).

Here in Zurich, it is a different matter all together. I had to research, plan, and run around to three different stores just to procure the proper ingredients. So, last Friday I did just that. First, I started at our local Migros where I got butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and 1200g (nearly 3lbs!) of dark chocolate. For the rest I had to head downtown. I tried a couple of stores, but none of them had the right stuff.  Finally, I went to Jelmoli's Department Store (Think Macy's). On their basement level, they have a huge gourmet market. There I found the missing pieces: brown sugar (they call it muscovado), baking soda, and vanilla extract. I spent nearly 30 CHF, but it was well worth it. So, triumphant, I went home to begin my baking.

Schoggi Guetzli  (Chocolate Chip Cookies)

1 cup (225g) butter, softened
1 cup (200g) white sugar
1 cup (220g)  packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
2 teaspoons (10ml) hot water
1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
2 cups (350g) semisweet chocolate, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt.
3. Stir in flour, chocolate chips. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

As the pile of cookies got bigger that afternoon, I figured this would be the end of the story, but the story had a trick up it's sleeve. These cookies had a destination: a joint birthday party for my fiance's friend and his girlfriend. So, as I brought in the cookies and set them on the table I was greeted by her 11 year-old son. He was very curious about the wrapped plate, and the American woman carrying them. As I carefully unwrapped them, his eyes got bigger and bigger. After just one cookie, he was hooked. I think he ended up eating 15 to 20 cookies (nearly half the plate). After the first dozen, he politely, in English, asked me for the recipe. He was such a sweetie, how could I refuse? I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as he does.

En guete!

No comments:

Post a Comment