Monday, June 14, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes

The pancake obsession started on my fiance's last trip to visit me back home. Every single time we went out to breakfast (which was a lot for only a three week visit), he ordered pancakes. I wanted to make some for him that trip, from scratch at home, but time wasn't on my side. He went back home without it happening.

To be honest, I told my best friend his, and he proceeded to ask if I had made him french toast. While I swore we talking about pancakes, I said, "Yes, a few times actually". To which his only reply was, "Well that's good, your french toast is awesome, but your pancakes are just okay". I took a slight offense to that, I thought my pancakes were really good. Still, this set me on a mission to make the best pancakes.

The quest continued when I came to Switzerland to visit. My fiance had all sorts of pancake mixes, in a vain attempt to make a fluffy, flavorful pancake at home. We tried them all, and all fell short. So, finally, I scoured the internet for this baby...

Blueberry Pancakes

1 large egg
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
1 cup (125g) flour
1 Tbsp (10g) sugar
2 tsp (6g) baking powder
1 tsp (4g) baking soda
1/2 tsp (4g) salt
2 Tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (50g) fresh blueberries

1. Beat egg until fluffy; add in milk and vanilla. In another bowl stir together dry ingredients, add in milk mixture and combine until wet. Add in oil and blueberries and mix until combined. Batter may be slightly lumpy.
2. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter from tip of large spoon or from pitcher onto hot griddle.
3. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.

I made them, for the first time, the day after Stan's birthday. Let's just say they were awesome. He couldn't stop raving about them. I made them again just yesterday, on a rainy, gray Sunday, and had the same success. Now, when I get back home, my best friend is going to have to eat his words. I hope he enjoys every mouthful.

En guete!

No comments:

Post a Comment