Friday, June 4, 2010

My First Pie

I'm sure every woman feels this way, but my Grandmother is the best pie maker ever. Hands down. I have watched in awe over the years as she has made every kind of pie you can think of, from scratch. I have helped, from time to time, as most little girls do, but never have I tried it on my own. That is, until yesterday.

I tried to take the easy way out. I'll admit it. I was set on using a store bought crust, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for (It's hard when you can't read the packaging). Yet, necessity is the mother of invention, or in my case finding the best recipe out there. I am sure glad I did too. Now I am sharing it with you...

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Crust:
2 1/2 cups (310g) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
1 cup (225g) butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup (120ml) ice water

Filling:
1 1/2 cups (300g) white sugar
1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon (2g) ground nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
4 cups (490g) chopped rhubarb
3 cups (455g) halved fresh strawberries

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Half and wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 
3. Roll dough out to fit a deep, 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
4. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Stir in eggs. Fold in rhubarb making sure to coat well, then do the same with the strawberries. Pour mixture into pie crust. Place second crust on top being sure to cut slits into it to vent steam.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until rhubarb is tender, and crust is golden.

Is it the prettiest pie? No, but the crust was flaky and tender, and the filling was sweet and tangy (and awesome à la mode). All in all, I think it was a success for a first pie, though it almost seemed a little too easy to make. As an added bonus, my fiance is already coming up with the next pie to try. The first isn't even gone yet! I think I am well on my way to being a baking goddess.

En guete!

No comments:

Post a Comment