Thursday, May 20, 2010

Failed Foray into Flan

Last Saturday, after getting up entirely too late, the fiance got a phone call about a dinner party. This wasn't shocking, as this is pretty much how his social life goes. The six hour notice was really quite pleasant. So, I asked, "Are we bringing anything?" The answer thrilled me: dessert! (I love my sugar, I really do.) With one more question, "Well, what's for dinner?" the idea was hatched. We were having fajitas, so the dessert would be flan.

Back home, flan sits side by side churros and fried ice cream as the dessert of choice for most Mexican restaurants. This made it a natural, but insane, choice. I say insane because custards and I have never really played well together. I have tried making them a handful of times, because both my best friend and I truly love them. Much to my dismay they usually come out wrong: too thick, too dense, too rubbery, too... well you get the picture. I really have no idea why I thought it would be any different.

As we got to looking up recipes, I was informed the Swiss have a similar dish; Caramel-köpfli. The recipe we had at home was all in German, so I went to the internet to find one I could more easily follow. So, I chose a recipe and sent the fiance off to the store. (No way do we keep that many eggs on hand, let alone condensed milk.) When he returned, we got to work. I carefully followed the recipe with his helping hands, then placed the finished dish in the oven, and waited.

Taking them out of the over, my heart fell. The tops looked like scrambled eggs, not creamy, smooth, delicious custard. I prayed it was only the top and wrapped it up for the party...

...They went over well, but I knew I had failed. They were rubbery, flavorful, but rubbery. Also there was much to much sugar at the bottom that didn't melt. Inverted, it looked more like a Crème brûlée than a flan. Still, I tried to smile and be gracious when they all thanked me for bringing them.

I will try again. I have researched and tweaked the recipe till I think, finally, I will have a success. Below is the recipe. I will post again when I have them just right! Until then, this has been a failed foray into flan.

Spanish Flan

1 cup (200g) white sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can (397g) sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can (410g) evaporated milk
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped out

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. Beat eggs slightly; add sugar and salt. Blend in milk and vanilla.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully pour hot syrup into ramakins, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
4. Pour custard mixture over sugar. Place in shallow baking pan of hot water.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
6. Chill overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment