Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Equipping the Kitchen

Over the last week, I have taken on the task of somewhat decently equipping the kitchen. This took, at least, three shopping trips to two different stores. I'm not trying to, for lack of a better term, "pimp" it out. I'm only here for three months, and let's face it, the guy won't use it when I'm gone. So, here is a list of what I got, and where I got it.

Migros - MMM Wallisellen/Glattzentrum
Neue Winterthurerstr. 99, 8301 Glattzentrum Wallisellen

We visited the Glattzentrum (a rather large mall outside of Zurich) on two separate occasions. They have, inside the mall, a very large Migros. They sell pretty much everything there. I promise to post again about Migros, Coop, and the various other kinds of grocery stores. It really deserves more attention than I can give it here. Anyways, back to the story...

The first time there I mainly picked up utensils: a mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a spatula, a basting brush, and various baking pans. The second trip I focused on baking goods: flour, sugar, vanilla, spices, baking powder, eggs, butter, and so on. You will notice I didn't mention baking soda. This American kitchen staple is only to be found at select drug stores (and is rather expensive).

Lian Hua
Schaffhauserstrasse 269, 8057 Zürich

Lian Hua is a small, but well stocked, Asian grocery. It leans to the Chinese side of ingredients, but is decently well rounded. Here we purchased both hardware and software. A rice cooker (a great invention) and wooden chopsticks round out the hardware, while a myriad of sauces and oils, ginger, limes, and noodles comprise the software.

I'm not sure if I'm 100% sure I'm done stocking the kitchen, but this is a step in the right direction to be able to adequately cook Swiss (and a few other things). 

No comments:

Post a Comment