Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 2: Green Smoothie, Chicken Chop Salad and Massaman Curry


Day 2 started our just like day 1, but since I ran out of carrots the night before, we had to rush through breakfast to get to the store. I shop 4+ times a week here in Zürich, twice I go to the famer's market and I go to our local Migros supermarket as needed. I shop as organic as possible. In Portland, I would only shop once a week at our local New Seasons. We had a bigger fridge, and a bigger pantry there (and here I can only buy what I can carry home and up a flight of stairs).

I always make a list before going to the store, and I always consult my meal plan. Here is this months:

 As you can see, it isn't exciting, and I change it when needed. I cut out oatmeal after planning this, and replaced them with smoothies. I also tend to cook what I feel like eating/making, so things switch up from time to time, but at least I have an idea of what we are eating/buying.

I would say meal planning, especially if you are new to this lifestyle or on a budget, is essential to maintaining focus. If there is something yummy and easy to cook in the fridge you are less likely to go out and de-rail your good intentions.

At the store, I bought some coconut milk to make tonight's stir fry into curry and I happened upon some lovely, gluten-free and organic Lebkuchen which I couldn't leave without. These, paired with some cute, little clementines became our dessert.

Ok, now on to the recipes... Lunch was a simple salad...


Chicken Chop Salad
Serves 2

1 chicken breast
1/2 red bell pepper
1 carrot
1 avocado
1 cucumber
4+ cups of salad greens

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp honey
1 tbsp mustard
2 tsp salald herbs
pinch of salt and chili flake

Saute chicken in a little oil in a hot skillet, set aside. In a large salad bowl, mix the dressing. Chop the vegetables and toss them in the dressing. Add in the chicken and the salad greens and toss to combine.
Dinner was early tonight, as the little one was tired, so I threw this together in a hurry...

Pumpkin Massaman Curry
Serves 2-3

1/2 small kuri squash or pumpkin
1 onion
1 carrot
3 mushrooms
1 zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 bok choy
1 small head of broccoli
1 small head of cauliflower
2 tbsp Massaman Curry paste
250 ml coconut milk
1+ cup cooked rice

Chop all your vegetables and saute in oil in a large frying pan or wok. Cook until tender. Add in curry paste and coconut milk and boil for s few minutes. Serve over rice. 
Tomorrow we will switch things up a bit and we will talk about how to stay on track in a world full of processed foods and take-out. Until then...

En Guete!

No comments:

Post a Comment